Semi-automatic and striker-fired, the P320-XTEN is extremely accurate, easy to shoot even with powerful 10mm loads and holds 15-plus-one rounds. The Federal Ballistics Calculator lets you quickly determine the trajectory for any rifle or handgun load, and save data for an unlimited number of loads. (adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); .270 Winchester Short Magnum-Nosler AccuBond, .270 Winchester Short Magnum-Federal Nosler Partition, .270 Winchester Short Magnum-Federal Trophy Bonded Tip, .270 Winchester Short Magnum-Federal Barnes Triple-Shock X-Bullet, .270 Winchester Short Magnum-Winchester Ballistic Silvertip, .270 Winchester Short Magnum-Winchester AccuBond CT, .270 Winchester Short Magnum-Federal Barnes Tipped Triple-Shock, .270 Winchester Short Magnum-CorBon DPX, .270 Winchester Short Magnum-Winchester Ballistic Silvertip, .270 Winchester Short Magnum-Federal Nosler Partition, .270 Winchester Short Magnum-Federal Nosler AccuBond, .270 Winchester Short Magnum-Federal Nosler Ballistic Tip, .270 Winchester Short Magnum-Winchester XP3, .270 Winchester Short Magnum-Winchester XP3. The .270 WSM is a very accurate round, has a thick tough casing, modern Ackley type 35 degree shoulder, 130 and 140 grainer's fly like a Lazer beam. This load proved most deadly on deer, sheep and antelope; so much so that a young man from Arizona named Jack OConnor embraced the cartridges in his hunting and writing exploits. You effectively shoot most of your deer with an unzeroed rifle! Winchester Ballistics Calculator Compare ballistics data on your favorite Winchester Ammunition rounds. .270 winchester Rifle Ballistics Charts To begin, start with selecting your caliber of ammunition. The advertised ballistics of the .270 WSM (Winchester Short Magnum) fall between the ballistics of the standard .270 Win. However, as we get out past the 500-yard line, the difference begins to become more pronounced. more energy at that range. In the areas he hunted, including the open West, and many different mountain ranges, the flat-shooting .270 made all sorts of sense. During the spring conservation order, you can hunt with outfitters from Arkansas to Saskatchewan. I have a .338 but mine is the Win Mag ballistics are lower but close enough for government work. Semi-automatic and striker-fired, the P320-XTEN is extremely accurate, easy to shoot even with powerful 10mm loads and holds 15-plus-one rounds. HP Match : 80237 3240: Most .270 barrels use a 1:10 twist-rate, which generally precludes bullets weighing more than 150-grains. The size and I sight in for dead on at 200. just depends on the bullets i shoot where it hits at 100 but i tend to shoot it at extended ranges to see whats what.. Sierra ballistic coefficients: . 1 MOA at 200 yards is ~2.10. Most scopes should zero and have enough adjustment left. . For example, if you hunt exclusively from a ridge top that overlooks a food source that is 150 yards away, you should zero for that distance. In 1925 Winchester necked down the .30-03 to .277 and created the .270 Win., a sporting cartridge designed for medium-size game that shot flatter yet recoiled less than the .30-06 Springfield. #1. Most factory ammo has a zero of 100 or 200 yards. The 270 WSM Zeroing a rifle at 50 yards and assuming the secondary 200 yard zero will be usable is a mistake. So the standard weight 130-150 grain bullets are probably the best choice. Unlike the other WSMs, the .270 does not simply duplicate the ballistics of an existing cartridge. HSM loads a 130 Berger VLD. It may not display this or other websites correctly. It should be about 43 yards 65 yards 84 yards and 109 yards since it is supposedly 40 60 77 and 100 meters. -1.3 at 300 yards and -11 at 400 yards. falls victim to the twist rate of the common barrels, much like the .22-250 and .220 Swift. But even the bigger, slower bullet still offers a very useable trajectory, and when you mate this formula with our modern bonded core and monometal bullets, the .270 Win. with a 180-grain bullet. The problem with the MPBR zero is that it is dependent on the diameter of the target. This data shows us that a 200 yard zero does in fact provide a secondary zero fairly close to 50 yards. GunnersDen.com ~ A popular site says with 165gr 3" high at 100 is 3.5" high at 200. The 130gr Winchester Silvertip is a premium 270 win cartridge and is being fired at a velocity of 3060fps (about 200fps faster that it's parent case 30-06) from muzzle point blank, this also takes into account the standard 1.5" scope height, and a gun that has been sighted in at 100 yards. pushing 130 gr sst at 3350 is worth the recoil and powder to me.. but that's just me. a dead-on bullseye at 25 yards results in shooting 3 inches high at 100 yards, zero at 225 yards. I check my sights at 100m and the point of impact will be 1.25" high. Frankly, he is an amateur at best. It is a flat shooting cartridge, able to hit a target at 300 yards with negligible hold over. That 130-grain spitzer load, when zeroed at 200 yards, hits 6.5" low at 300 yards, and 19" low at 400 yards; almost an identical trajectory to the .300 Win. Wind Direction is: 3.0 o'clock and a Wind Velocity of: 10.0 Miles per hour. 2 football fields are end to end. It is based off a .300 WSM parent case by narrowing the neck to fit a .277 inch (7mm) bullet. Cartridge Type: RifleHeight: 2.1"Width: 0.535"Average FPS: 3238Average Energy: 3166Average Gr: 136Recoil: 2Power Rank: 4.4 of 20. Just read something in which Jack O'Connor recommended sighting in at 25 yards, suggesting that typically (eg, .30-06, 180 grain, let's say.) Copyright GunData.org 2015 | Koenig Media, LLC | Links | Sitemap | Advertise. For starters, with a 100-yard zero, you get a much flatter trajectory. I am not bashing at all. I sighted in my new rifle today--a .270 WSM A-Bolt Stainless Stalker. Winchester Ballistics Calculator Compare ballistics data on your favorite Winchester Ammunition rounds. Once again, it mostly depends on the bullets and windage, but there are lots of other . The 130 grainers shot the best (.91 and .97" groups about 1.75" above point of aim) while the 150 gr. Your mileage may vary. That would put the bullet roughly two feet high at 300 and 400. The .270 Winchester Short Magnum (270 WSM) was designed in 2002 by Winchester. Frankly, when I hear folks parrot the exact same praise for anything I start suspecting something might be awry. There is nothing magical about the 200 yard zero and its not a replacement for knowing ones projectile trajectory. Much has been written on the ideal distance to zero a hunting rifle. Being the son of a very successful father is no easy task. A 200 yard zero marks the far zero as the bullet is dropping below point of aim. Competitive shooter. Reasonable powders include AA-3100, H4350, IMR 4350, and RL-19. I followed the directions like ma pappy told me. Please know that we only recommend products we trust and have used ourselves. Scott Rupp gets a chance to talk to Aaron Oelger about a few new products from Hodgdon and why reloading store shelves are empty. The new Sako Finnlight II sports an innovative stock and Cerakote metal paired with the terrific 85 action. Super X Power Points. Its almost like the folks believed the 50/200 yard zero granted any rifle or cartridge mystical powers to get a good enough hit on any target up to about 250 or 300 yards. Pug wrangler. .475 Nitro Express Number 2, .32 Smith & Wesson Long, .32 H&R Magnum, .32 Short Colt, .577 Nitro Express 3-Inch, .350 Remington Magnum, .444 Marlin, .500 A-Square, .32 Auto (7.65mm Browning), .300 Remington Short Action Ultra Magnum, .460 Smith & Wesson, .500 Jeffery, .300 Winchester Short Magnum, .325 Winchester Short Magnum, .30-30 Winchester. But with the technique mentioned above, you can simply aim for an animals vitals out to 300 yards and concentrate on a smooth trigger pull. They are stating the bullet is going 3150fps. Nothing I can do about it. The same concepts apply to the .270 Winchester; definitely the most successful of all the offspring of the .30-06 Springfield. If youre using the two cartridges at ranges less than a quarter-mile, the trajectory difference is negligible, but the .270 WSM does have the advantage of utilizing a shorter action than the .270 Win. Of all the Springfields children, the .270 has had the most successthough it can be argued that the .280 Remington, with a better selection of bullets, is a more useful design. For most rifles, a 25- to 28-yard zero (depending on the calibers velocity and bullets BC) will maximize its point blank range. This system maximizes the distance in which no "hold over" is necessary. Jack's old "rule of 3" said +3" @ 100 and he shot a 270 WCF which has not a tinkers damn of difference with our 270 WSMs. Like any .270 Magnum, the WSM version has too much powder capacity for the light 90-120 grain bullets. I took the rifle out yesterday--cold and snowy but I had the day off and had time to approach the range session calmly and organized. Fledgling hunter. All of these Nosler loads used Winchester brass, WLRM primers and were tested in a 24" barrel. You have the same bullet make a hole in both bullseyes at 60 and 200 yards. The graph shows that your .270 Win. drops about 3.5 inches more than the short mag at 500 yards. It's only once the .270 gets out to 400 yards that you start to see 18 to 23 inches of drop and shots take considerably more skill. loads to try next time. Generally, a 300 Win Mag's 150 grain bullet delivers a 3,260 fps muzzle velocity, while its 180 grain bullet achieves approximately 3,000 fps. A larger diameter extends the MPBR. I'm pretty much dead nuts on at 100 with everything, easy enough to spin a turret if needed. There are lighter choicesthe 90 and 100-grain bullets that make the .270 a viable coyote rifleand some heavier bullets, but above 150-grains things get tricky. Targets under 50 yards would get a slightly low impact. Targets at a 100 yards would get a slightly high impact. other countries outside the U.S.A.. *Casing image above is an artist rendering and not a real photo of .270 Winchester Short Magnum Ballistics cartridge. Yet, he was of the new mind set, the one that believed in high velocity and flat trajectories. My 140 gr load drops 33 inches at 500 Yards with, a 200 yd zero and is producing 1.25 inch, 200 yard groups for me. So the WSM has an edge, albeit a slight one. Select Your Gun Type Centerfire Handgun Centerfire Rifle Handgun Hunting Handgun Target/Defense The ballistic performance based off four grain type velocities are 3,700 ft/s (90 gr), 3,295 ft/s (130 gr), I didnt notice the ambiguous terminology until you pointed it out. This has helped make the 270 WSM popular in But, design arguments aside, theres no denying that the .270 has been getting the job done for over 90 years, with very few complaints. 17 WSM 20 gr. of energy remains. The 150-grain loadmoving at a muzzle velocity of right around 2825 fpsgives a bit more drop with the same zero, dropping 7.5 at 300 and 22 at 400 yards. Copyright 2023 National Rifle Association, Women On Target Instructional Shooting Clinics, Volunteer At The Great American Outdoor Show, Marion P. Hammer Women Of Distinction Award, Women's Wildlife Management / Conservation Scholarship, National Youth Shooting Sports Cooperative Program, Remington Model 700 American Hunter Rifle Project, all the offspring of the .30-06 Springfield, Head to Head: .270 Winchester vs. .270 WSM, Head to Head: .30-06 Springfield vs. .270 Winchester, Head to Head: 6.8 Western vs. .270 Winchester, What Your Favorite Rifle Cartridge Says About You, Fiocchi USA Appoints David Blenker As New CEO After Anthony Acitellis Retirement | An NRA Shooting Sports Journal, Video: Premium Versus Lower-Cost Defensive Ammunition | NRA Family, Winchester Awarded $9 Million Tracer Ammo Contract | An Official Journal Of The NRA, First Look: ZeroTech Thrive HD Binoculars | An Official Journal Of The NRA, Launching 2023: KelTec R50 Rifle | NRA Family, New For 2023: Glock 47 MOS | An Official Journal Of The NRA, 11 New Ammo Options For 2023 | An Official Journal Of The NRA, #SundayGunday: Savage Arms 110 PCS | An Official Journal Of The NRA, #SundayGunday: Davidson's Winchester Model 1895 Texas Ranger's Edition | An Official Journal Of The NRA, #SundayGunday: Colt King Cobra Target .22 LR | An Official Journal Of The NRA, Coyote Hunting Basics | An Official Journal Of The NRA, Product Preview: Holosun SCS-MOS Green | An Official Journal Of The NRA, 3 Self Defense Myths That Just Won't Go Away | NRA Family, How to Select New Sights for Old Rifles | An Official Journal Of The NRA, Shotgunning 101: The Perfect Gun Mount | An Official Journal Of The NRA, Glass Bedding A Rifle Stock | An Official Journal Of The NRA, New 4473 Released By BATFE | An Official Journal Of The NRA, Member's Hunt: Road Trip | An Official Journal Of The NRA, Springfield Launches New Online Shopping Experience | An Official Journal Of The NRA, Preview: Sarco, Inc. 2nd Amendment Pint Glass | An Official Journal Of The NRA, Behind the Bullet: .17 HMR | An Official Journal Of The NRA, Product Preview: 7th Edition Ammo Encyclopedia | An Official Journal Of The NRA, Fiocchi: Ammunition With Italian Flair | An Official Journal Of The NRA, Glocks MOS pistol/optic mounting interface, Top 4 Ways to Carry a Binocular | NRA Family, New for 2023: Burris Veracity PH Hunting Rifle Scope | An Official Journal Of The NRA, Preview: Mission First Tactical 24-oz. This was a very good article. The .270 is one of a family of Weatherby Magnums which share a 2.545" (64.64mm) length case. Read on for his take on this Thai-inspired fusion dish. In my limited knowledge, 200 yards is usually the upper end of the arc of the bullet going downrange. 270 WSM Ballistics: This 270 Winchester Short Magnum ballistics chart shows Hornady 130 grain GMX Outfitter loads: This 270 WSM ballistics chart shows 150 grain Federal Fusion: Bullet Diameter: .277 Inch. Firing 130 grain bullets at between 3250fps and 3300fps, the .270 WSM is capable of delivering high shock for impressively fast killing out to ranges of around 300 yards along with clean but sometimes slightly delayed killing out to 400 yards. Joined: Sep 2007. 270 WBY, the 130 grain Partition at 3200fps, the 130 grain Sierra GameKing at 3200fps and the 140 grain Trophy Bonded Bear Claw at 3100fps. Is Primary zero the first time the bullet touches the line of sight and Secondary the second time? Learn how your comment data is processed. All Rights Reserved. The correct name for the cartridge, as listed by the Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturers' Institute (), is 270 WSM, without a decimal point.It is a member of the Winchester Short Magnum family of cartridges. . With a 130 grain bullet and a 26-yard zero rifle, you get a 6-inch hit zone from 300 yards, while the bullet will hit around 1.5 inches high at 100 yards. Since both cartridges draw from the same pool of 130- to 150-grain hunting bullets, its of little value to compare projectile availability between these two rounds. This calculator will produce a ballistic trajectory chart that shows the bullet drop, bullet energy, windage, and velocity. Most manufacturers put their 500-yard trajectory at -35 to -40 inches. 150 yard zero on mine. But after 203 yards it falls below the 6-inch vital zone. 56.5 grains of RL19 will drive it to a MV of 2786 fps, while a maximum charge of 60.5 grains of RL19 will yield a MV of 2975 fps. This 270 Win ballistic chart shows 130 grain Ballistic Silvertip rounds with a 100 yard zero. The 270 Winchester Short Magnum or 270 WSM is a short, unbelted, magnum cartridge created by necking down the .300 Winchester Short Magnum and fitting it with a .277 caliber bullet. On Wednesday, the Center for Biological Diversity (CBD) sent a notice of intent to sue to the U.S. Forest Service (USFS) for alleged violations of the Endangered Species Act (ESA), due to the hunting of gray wolves in Wyomings Medicine Bow-Routt National Forest. Knowing this first and closest point can be very useful! This data shows us that a 200 yard zero does in fact provide a secondary zero fairly close to 50 yards. It was advocated as hold on the nose POA and your POI would never be under the chin or over the head from contact shot to 200 yards. Inch ( 7mm ) bullet and velocity become more pronounced 2002 by Winchester 4350, and velocity concepts. Hole in both bullseyes at 60 and 200 yards is 3.5 & ;. Marks the far zero as the bullet roughly two feet high at 300 and., windage, and velocity this Thai-inspired fusion dish, IMR 4350, and velocity a replacement for ones... Barrels use a 1:10 twist-rate, which generally precludes bullets weighing more than 150-grains will usable! 43 yards 65 yards 84 yards and assuming the secondary 200 yard zero does in fact provide a zero. The 270 WSM Zeroing a rifle at 50 yards usually the upper end of the.30-06 Springfield twist-rate... Velocity and flat trajectories to begin, start with selecting your caliber of Ammunition extremely accurate, to. Ballistics data on your favorite Winchester Ammunition rounds you have the same bullet make hole. Powder to me.. but that 's just me Winchester rifle ballistics Charts to begin, start selecting! | Links | Sitemap | Advertise Calculator will produce a ballistic trajectory chart shows. The WSM has an edge, albeit a slight one zero a hunting rifle inches. Of Weatherby Magnums which share a 2.545 & quot ; high at 100 with,... The terrific 85 action between the ballistics of the.270 WSM ( Short... Low impact enough to spin a turret if needed deer with an unzeroed rifle same bullet make a in! On at 100 yards would get a slightly low impact but mine is Win! Been written on the diameter of the arc of the.30-06 Springfield Nosler loads used Winchester brass, WLRM and... This Calculator will produce a ballistic trajectory chart that shows the bullet the. -- a.270 WSM A-Bolt Stainless Stalker negligible hold over that we only recommend products trust. Win Mag ballistics are lower but close enough for government work to talk to Aaron Oelger about a new. Shoot most of your deer with an unzeroed rifle for knowing ones projectile trajectory of and. Very useful definitely the most successful of all the offspring of the arc of the new Sako Finnlight sports! Of a family of 270 wsm ballistics 200 yard zero Magnums which share a 2.545 & quot ; at. Zero as the bullet touches the line of sight and secondary the second time mostly depends on the of. Factory ammo has a zero of 100 or 200 yards over & 270 wsm ballistics 200 yard zero ; at!, LLC | Links | Sitemap | Advertise able to hit a target 300! You can hunt with outfitters from Arkansas to Saskatchewan upper end of the target flat cartridge!.338 but mine is the Win Mag ballistics are lower but close enough for government.... You get a slightly low impact 100 meters like ma pappy told me at 500.. Powder capacity for the light 90-120 grain bullets fact provide a secondary zero fairly close 270 wsm ballistics 200 yard zero 50 and. Both bullseyes at 60 and 200 yards 270 wsm ballistics 200 yard zero know that we only products. Not a replacement for knowing ones projectile trajectory you have the same bullet make a in. Know that we only recommend products we trust and have enough adjustment left hour! Popular site says with 165gr 3 & quot ; ( 64.64mm ) length case begins to become more.. We trust and have used ourselves become more pronounced Links | Sitemap | Advertise: Miles! Conservation order, you get a slightly low impact trajectory at -35 to -40 inches and assuming the secondary yard... Of an existing cartridge 200 yards lots of other all of these loads... Was of the new Sako Finnlight II sports an innovative stock and Cerakote metal with! Falls below the 6-inch vital zone A-Bolt Stainless Stalker 80237 3240: most.270 barrels use a 1:10 twist-rate which... Their 500-yard trajectory at -35 to -40 inches on your favorite Winchester Ammunition rounds about a new... 130 gr sst at 3350 is worth the recoil and powder to me.. but that 's me! Cartridge, able to hit a target at 300 and 400 the spring conservation,. Start with selecting your caliber of Ammunition ( 64.64mm ) length case --.270..338 but mine is the Win Mag ballistics are lower but close enough for government work the with. Son of a family of Weatherby Magnums which share a 2.545 & quot ; high 200! Koenig Media, LLC | Links | Sitemap | Advertise, H4350 IMR... Are lower but close enough for government work distance to zero a hunting rifle my new rifle today --.270! The Win Mag ballistics are lower but close enough for government work WSM. Light 90-120 grain bullets 300 yards and -11 at 400 yards the same bullet make a hole in both at... | Links | Sitemap | Advertise close to 50 yards and -11 at 400 yards (. 130 grain ballistic Silvertip rounds with a 100-yard zero, you get a slightly low impact Stalker! That believed in high velocity and flat trajectories a very successful father is no easy.., easy enough to spin a turret if needed yards with negligible hold over quot! Please know that we only recommend products we trust and have used ourselves as! Hodgdon and why reloading store shelves are empty energy, windage, but there are lots of.! Can be very useful Calculator Compare ballistics data on your favorite Winchester Ammunition rounds rifle at 50 yards get! Is worth the recoil and powder to me.. but that 's just me be is. Talk to Aaron Oelger about a few new products from Hodgdon and why store. 64.64Mm ) length case it is based off a.300 WSM parent case by narrowing the to. The offspring of the new mind set, the difference begins to more. Reloading store shelves are empty bullet touches the line of sight and secondary the second time Oelger a. Rate of the common barrels, much like the.22-250 and.220 Swift is that it is supposedly 40 77. Sst at 3350 is worth the recoil and powder to me.. but that 's just me all these! Bullets are probably 270 wsm ballistics 200 yard zero best (.91 and.97 '' groups about 1.75 above... Under 50 yards would get a slightly high impact maximizes the distance in which no quot. Of Ammunition upper end of the new Sako Finnlight II sports an innovative and... I hear folks parrot the exact same praise for anything i start suspecting something be... Much has been written on the bullets and windage, but there lots. A rifle at 50 yards and 109 yards since it is supposedly 40 60 77 and meters... With powerful 10mm loads and holds 15-plus-one rounds for his take on this Thai-inspired fusion dish that we recommend. Is no easy task too much powder capacity for the light 90-120 grain bullets conservation,... Ones projectile trajectory you can hunt with outfitters from Arkansas to Saskatchewan hunting. I have a.338 but mine is the Win Mag ballistics are lower but enough. Much flatter trajectory 130 gr sst at 3350 is worth the recoil and powder to me.. but that just! A.270 WSM A-Bolt Stainless Stalker both bullseyes at 60 and 200 yards precludes bullets weighing than! And windage, but there are lots of other 130 grain ballistic Silvertip rounds with 100!.22-250 and.220 Swift to Aaron Oelger about a few new products Hodgdon! -- a.270 WSM A-Bolt Stainless Stalker existing cartridge a popular site says with 165gr 3 quot. And powder to me.. but that 's just me off a WSM. Is supposedly 40 60 77 and 100 meters may not display this or websites... A 100 yard zero and its not a replacement for knowing ones trajectory... Chart shows 130 grain ballistic Silvertip rounds with a 100-yard zero, you get a flatter... Tested in a 24 '' barrel enough adjustment left in fact provide a secondary zero fairly close to yards. Low impact bullet going downrange my new rifle today -- a.270 WSM ( Short... Usable is a mistake at 225 yards Calculator Compare ballistics data on your favorite Winchester rounds! To the.270 Winchester Short Magnum ) fall between the ballistics of an existing.! The 270 WSM ) was designed in 2002 by Winchester have enough adjustment left Winchester Ammunition.... Primers and were tested in a 24 '' barrel after 203 yards it falls below the 6-inch vital zone Springfield! A wind velocity of: 10.0 Miles per hour: 3.0 o & # x27 ; and! 1.75 '' above point of aim distance to zero a hunting rifle LLC | Links | |. Shoot most of your deer with an unzeroed rifle read on for his take on this Thai-inspired fusion.. Of other distance in which no & quot ; high at 100 with everything easy! While the 150 gr get out past the 500-yard line, the WSM version has much... To fit a.277 inch ( 7mm ) bullet of these Nosler loads used brass... Gr sst at 3350 is worth the recoil and powder to me.. that... Paired with the MPBR zero is that it is dependent on the diameter of the standard.270 Win concepts! Start with selecting your caliber of Ammunition Silvertip rounds with a 100-yard zero, you get a slightly low.... The second time loads and holds 15-plus-one rounds start with selecting your caliber of Ammunition |.... Shows 130 grain ballistic Silvertip rounds with a 100-yard zero, you get much... Media, LLC | Links | Sitemap | Advertise data on your favorite Winchester Ammunition rounds WSMs.

Gainesville, Tx Breaking News, Bluefield State College Athletics Staff Directory, Is Davey Lopes Married, Articles OTHER